Monday, April 7, 2008

Beer Bum Chicken

(and Red Potatoes)
This recipe isn’t any different that most beer butt recipes it’s just the one I tried and it turned out delicious, So I guess it worked!…If you don’t already have someone else’s recipe, try this!

Ingredients and Recommened Brands if Available
1 Whole Roasting Chicken - Approx. 4 lbs.
8 Medium Red Skin Potatoes
4 Garlic Cloves (sliced thin)
1/3 stick Butter (NOT Margarine)
Salt and Garlic Pepper (for potatoes)
1 oz. Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends-Chicken or YOUR FAVORITE RUB
½ can Beer, About what is left in those six empty cans total.

Preparation and Cooking Directions
-Preheat BGE to 300 degrees
-Soften butter in microwave and spread over entire surface of chicken
-Apply spice (Rub) inside and out
-Using your favorite beer can chicken cooking device set it up and add the ½ can of beer
-Place Chicken on the holder, add potatoes (seasoned to taste with Salt and Pepper, Rub, Garlic, etc.)
-Place on Grill and insert meat thermometer into thickest part of the thigh
-Let cook until the temperature reaches 180 degrees (somewhere around 2 hours)
-Remove and let rest (watch that can and rack, it will be HOT!), slice and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog. Lots of great info and recipes that have inspired me to cook more on my egg. Just one question about the pizza setup. Why the parchment under the pizza? I cooked my first pizza tonight and it didn't turn out so well...cooked too long. But after opening the lid my gasket had burnt and was falling off. (I've had the egg for about a week). ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parchment paper will keep the dough from sticking to the pizza stone and will also help to brown better (but I don't know why). It also allows you to put it on and pull it off easier with a peel than if it was on the stone directly. On the gasket, if your egg is new you can't cook at high temps for 5-6 cooks because the gasket has to seal first...your dealer should have told you that unfortunately. I am living in Missouri without my egg until the family arrives this summer so I am jonesing for some eggin' Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I know the beer can chicken post is a year old, but I have a question. Do the drippings from the chicken affect the red potatoes? From the pictures, it looks like the potatoes are right underneath the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drippings don't impact the potatoes as long as the chicken is done and the potatoes cooked throughout. I don't use this method any longer and only do spatchcock style, better results, more consistent and cooks much faster.

    ReplyDelete